Friday, July 24, 2020

Progress Summary July

Hey everyone, I'm once more (although a bit later than the last couple ones) back to update you on Dream Molders progress a bit.

I can already say that there isn't a lot to show or tell this time around, but I'll explain in detail further below~

Short Summary + Info

Script Work
-rewrote and improved some story parts
-finalized the first few scenes, added scripts calls needed, etc

Art / Coloring Work
-drawn and edited some more Backgrounds needed
-Made a couple more adjustments to different UI's used InGame

Tama Work
-added Stylist to change your Braixens style in a immersive matter

Some more detailed info on each section & the usual rambling

As already mentioned there really isn't much to show or tell this time around as most work done is text/script based.
I've pretty much started finalizing the different scenes to make them feel more like a proper game and less like a demo.

A big part of that is re-reading everything, adding and changing whatever I feel could sound better, then add the new scripts calls to control the model and scene and finish with some smaller details like additional sounds, music, backgrounds, etc, etc.. 

This pretty much means that, aside from showing the finished scenes, there isn't really a lot that I can talk about at the moment..

I can however, use the chance to show you what parts of the game are actually going to be in Episode 1!

Dream Molder Episode 1 - Planned Scenes

Having finalized the first couple of scenes and gone through most of the story needed I feel confident enough to show what scenes are planned to be included in EP1.

And I felt the best way to do so would be by using some kind of map / flowchart that shows every path of the game like this:


Not only does this map show what scenes are planned for the episode, but also how many are already worked on (yellowish parts), finished (green parts) or will come in the future. (dark parts)

If you've played any of the demos I've released over time you'll actually have a bit of a comparison on the games size and where the episode is likely going to cut off in story.
(White M to H is the very first demo released (the fair), yellow H and box left to it is the last released h-demo (the office one).)

There has been quite a bit of changes in the writing and story since the first demo release so it won't be exactly the same, but it should give you somewhat of an perspective on how big EP1 is going to be.

I hope this clears up some questions you had about how much EP1's release is going to cover and gives some insight on how far we are into finishing it.


If you're interested in how scene-/path structure looked before I started working on it at the start of this month, here's an older scene map from the sketch demo I've released a while back that some of you might remember:

There's still a lot that will change as I work on/rewrite the remaining scenes but as always I will keep you up to date over here every few days or so.
I can also update the map and post it together with those updates if that is something you would like to see~

Art / Coloring Work

Again, not much to be said.
There was need for some additional background work and a few UI pieces here and there, but I will keep most of the art work to till the end of the scene work.

I'm always updating the list on what needs to be done at the end of the scene work when I'm posting smaller updates on the side tracker/discord, so you already know about that one as well!

Tama Work

Although mainly made for the main game, this scene/script will also be used in the tamagotchi later on:

-The Stylist

Now the stylist isn't anything new or exciting as it's pretty much just a modified Braixen Creator, but this is going to be the main tool to change your Braixens style/looks.

Unlike the creator you can only make style changes as clothing has to be bought/unlocked separately.
There won't be all of the styles available since some wouldn't make sense (lucario spike on chest, etc).

You're still going to be able to use those styles in the tamagotchi, but they will be character bound traits that can't be obtained/changed after creation of the Braixen.
(This goes for default tamagotchi gameplay only, you could still use cheats/debug to change your Braixens style at any point.)

Some other stuff, rambling and Patreon related info...

As everyone supporting me on Patreon already knows, I havent been posting in a bit. Again.

I've pretty much fell back into the habit of not posting because I haven't been satisfied with the work I did, which even if nobody get's charged, shouldn't be a thing.

There is a lot of stuff that I set the Patreon up for: Fighting some health problems, trying to imrpove my living situation, support for my "art career" and DM, etc, etc..

Some of the support I've got so far actually really helped me out already!
I've been able to get a graphic tablet and properly get started on learning to draw, improving my writing, buying material and licenses for DM and so on.


DM is taking a lot of my time though and although Iam doing what I can I simply won't be able to post/update as often if I want to concentrate on it.

I pretty much had to make the decision if I wanted to keep working on DM forever and upload other animations and art on the side, or concentrate on DM and going without uploads for a while..

First option would mean I'm stuck with DM for much longer, letting people wait for a finished product not knowing if there will ever be such a  thing, but I would still have other stuff on the side to upload to patreon.
Second option would mean I can focus on DM, but won't have anything to upload to patreon for the time being.

Obviously I wasn't fine with either choice.

I don't want to be stuck with DM forever or make an release seem impossible, but I also don't want to gain support without giving people something to back it up.

I did try both, and both made me rush things or try to meet quotas that I couldn't to then stress out for no reason.


Which is why I thought things over and pausing/freezing Patreon was the best solution.

It's not the end of the world. I'm in an okay place right now (which is partially also thanks to you guys) and I think it's more important to finish DM than worry about improving/making a name of "InDarkWaters".

DM is what I started out with and a lot of people were looking forward to. (myself included).
So I rather take my time to work on/finish it without having Patreon/Upload quotas in the back of my mind than burn myself out.

That's how I started out and worked best with after all.


I can always go back to random animations, Pateon and those other smaller projects that I wanted to work on after that's done.


I'm going to add something like an support button somewhere on the blog or similar for the people that are still bothering me over it (:p), but for now I'm just going to focus on myself and finishing DM.

I'm sorry to everyone that I left waiting over on patreon, I will still come back with some animation, game related and physical rewards once I've got the first release though!

So if you don't mind hanging around, I'm always happy to see you guys once I turn support back on~


That's pretty much all I've got to say right now...
As always I probably forgot about something, but I can always answer some questions over on discord.
So just let me know!

I'll keep updating progress over here so for everyone following, I'll see you around~
-Dark

13 comments:

  1. Man, no matter how long it takes you to do it.
    Also, you may not have noticed, but the work you are doing is impressively elaborate, and it stands to reason that you take your time to do everything.
    keep it up bro.
    You have all my support 1000% guaranteed and since you started you have never disappointed me.
    sincerely: Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this. Even if it takes a while you still got my support and everything you've released has been amazing honestly.

      Delete
  2. can't wait the part 1 realese, i am so hype.
    You have all my suport uwu

    ReplyDelete
  3. i gotta say even if it takes a bit to get it done its better to put out something your proud of than nothing, as long as its not like half life 3 i really don't mind waiting. keep up the good work though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'r work is juste amazing... don't give up, keep it up, you are best !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goood im really excited for see the 1st episode :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey i just see your update and...I just hope you get better bro, up that encourage :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hell yeah i really want to see the next update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the sketch demo can you only get 3/4 endings or am i missing something.

    I went down path 1 3 and 4 but when i go down path 2 i am automatically redirected to path 1 without choice, and i dont understand how to get the path 2 ending? can anyone help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's only 3 of 4 possible endings in the old sketch demo as ending 2 got removed for being a bit too dark for what the story/game was supposed to be.

      It was supposed to be the bad ending but I'm looking into rewriting/adding something different instead for the first proper release. (which I'm working on right now)

      Delete
  9. Are you near right yet to release it?, I am so siked for the release!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really excited for this! I've played through all the available endings of the character sketch demo v0.1.1a, and I'm impressed. I'm excited to see the missing animations in the final release!

    ReplyDelete