Sunday, April 28, 2019

Small progress update on Char Demo 0.1.1 + Sketches

Hey everyone, nothing serious here but I thought I'll show some of the stuff I was working on
these last few days.

This post will mostly be me rambling again as I talk about what sketches I worked on, which reasons I had to do so, etc... As usual it's going to be quite the textwall, so if you're not into reading my random jabbering I added some pictures for you to glance over. ;P
Just know that I'm working on the next patch/update for the demo and hope to get it out in around 2ish weeks


The stuff below might be a spoiler to some of you (sketches from various characters/scenes of different paths), so remember that as you keep reading.
I put put some "heavy" text spoilers into on a black background just in case.


I will divide the sketches I worked on into 4 different sections, beginning why I'm taking a bit longer to make the next demo..

1. Some extra time sketching - "Dream" Fia
First things first, I've been doing some extra work the last few days that wouldn't have been needed but I felt like it was.

I actually would have been done drawing the remaining character sketches for the demo already but this kind of got in the way of it...

Those of you that played the old Dream Molder demo will remember how Fia had two "forms", her usual Braixen and her Anthro one.

Anyone that played the character demo as well probably noticed that the anthro form was completely missing this time around.
The reason for this wasn't because I removed it, but because I was unsure of how I wanted it to look like.

Back then I pretty much added breasts to her design, changed poses a little and called it a day.
For anyone that doesn't remember exactly here's what I'm talking about:


Now it wouldn't have been a problem to just do the same thing again and add a chest to the new design (which I was planning on doing) but the new style simply made it feel off.

I had the choice now.
There's around 30~ poses/expressions that I need for the anthro version.
I'm either using the ones I already have to save time and effort OR I redraw all of them from scratch with a completely new design.


But yeah, I guess you see where this is going.
I wasn't completely sure how I wanted to change the anthro form without diverging from the new style too much, but after trying around for a while I ultimately ended up with this.




I wasn't sure if changing the body-type was something I really wanted (I mostly felt like the anthro version wasn't needed), but I wanted to make sure that it feels like Fia actually changes in attempt to mimik what she thinks the Player likes, (Sara?) to make him "notice her" or even seduce him.

It's definitely not perfect, but I will still change some stuff up once I start coloring anyways. So just let me know what you would like to have changed on it if it bothers you!
BTW, unlike in the old demo you will have an option to switch Fia's chest off in the anthro version.
I'm not sure if I'll do it with ingame decisions or a simple checkbox in the settings, but I think this will make the game more enjoyable for anyone that is bothered by the boobiemon.

Now I didn't draw all of the 30ish variations that I need yet since I'm quite slow at getting the sketches just right, but I'm getting there.

There's 13 left I need to draw but only 3 of them are actual poses while the rest of them are different expressions of said 3.
Once those are done I can start adding clothing to the different poses which will go a lot faster again.

Here's a few more previews and a color sample to show the "style" I was going for..




























I really tried keeping Fia's original/default poses while using her "new" body.
I wanted it to look casual while somehow more seductive...

I think they turned out fine, but It's for you to decide so let me know what you think. :>

Now on to the next topic,
2. The desert Vixen
I already posted a "teaser" for the "character" a while back, so anyone that looked at my older
posts might remember this:

Mostly referred to as the "Beast Princess" in the story, the idea behind the character was simple.

I wanted a character from a book that Fia could identify with so she would end up getting hooked to books/reading in general, but it was also a good filler for one of Fia's dreams that I've got not even nearly enough of yet.

In the end, Fia was supposed to dream/mess up dreams like this almost every night.
Which still happens, but pretty much isn't shown or talked about inGame...

The story of the Beast Princess showed the most basic examples of Fia's usual "dream-ability accidents".
She finds something that stays on her mind or excites her in some way which makes her dream about it. Dreaming herself into the role of the princess she relives what happens in the books story while unknowingly dragging people close to her like the Player into the role of the prince.

Since the princess mostly uses Fia's graphics with some added clothing there isn't much else to show besides the color sample here, but I thought it was a funny thing to know and the missing sketches from this part of the character sketch demo probably didn't make it a 100% obvious that she was dreaming herself and the player into the main roles.
(Btw, the queen is also played by the Players mother in this part. Even though Fia imagines her with some slight differences :p)


Now a thing that I had a problem or two with...
3. Side Characters

While drawing side characters in itself isn't a problem, having the motivation to draw them definitely is.

Most of them only use one sketch or two for the whole game and will be shown once.
Something that makes it quite easy to deal with them and move on to more important things.
However, I feel since they're less important I just don't get to drawing them..?

I did a few designs for a few characters, but it never felt "real".
Not like characters in a way because I wasn't as invested in them or because I couldn't bother drawing them?

A lot of the missing sketches are exactly that.
Random people in the background. The daycare lady, coworkers, ruffians, etc..
Even the mother which is only halfway a side character didn't quite get to what I want yet.

I did get some sketches done but not nearly enough and the quality that I wanted them in.

Another point why I'm a bit behind with those is because I'm unsure if I'm even using them.
While planning and scripting everything I realized that I wanted to animate the characters.

Animating EVERY single of the characters, even the side ones - would probably be only waste time.
But putting unanimated characters next to the actual ones would look plain bad, so that's out of the question...

What I will probably end up with is animate a few characters that are used a lot, lead a bigger role or "fit" in. But every other character will only be shown on CG's which aren't animated.
This way I don't need the extra character sketches and don't need to animate them either.
But it also means less for you guys to see in the character sketch demo.

So I'm unsure of which ones you'll see in the final Char Sketch Demo, but it's most likely only those three here + Players Mother and the daycare lady...

The maid was kind of  a must since she was in the old demo already and I had her sketch ready for a while now. I didn't put her into the first demo since most side characters were missing aswell, but now she's all ready and set up for the next version.

Jasmine isn't exactly a side character, but since removal of path 2 she's also not THAT important anymore..
She's got enough dialogue to be animated and all though.
Same for the mother.

Lastly the Croagunk from the daycare. Nothing special and only appears for a few textboxes, but I thought it's cute enough and kinda helps the scene. It also won't be too much trouble to animate because of it's size, so here it is!


4. Clothing sketches and variations

And as last topic the reason most sketches were missing in the last version, clothing.
If you played the Char Sketch Demo you probably saw a few recoloured unfinished sketches, those were the clothing and variation ones.

With about 70% (~160) of the missing sketches by far the biggest part of what I did the last few days.
Adding different clothing and variations to the sketches and replacing them with their recoloured placeholders.

From the about 80~ sketches that I have left to draw, about 50 of them are still clothing sketches. (40 of which beeing Anthro Fia's clothing, which is why I have to wait for her new sketches before I can keep drawing those)

Posting all of them would probably too much since each oufit has been drawn with a variety of poses aswell. But for everyone interested, I'll add a few variations at the bottom if you don't care about spoilers or anything.



5. Final Word
I know this was all kinda messy and all over the place since I'm quite tired and probably should have gotten some sleep now. :,D


But for everyone that read through the whole thing a big thank you for your interest and I hope you found some interesting stuff in here.

 While this whole sketching and behind the scenes business probably isn't too interesting for most, I like to share how far I've come by now...
My work is by no means perfect and I'm still taking forever to get stuff done, but I think I improved a lot if you look back at the stuff I made when I started this not too long ago..














So for everyone that stayed with me over all this time, thank you for your support.
You're the reason why I'm improving.

I hopefully get the last few sketches and scenes done over the next 2~ weeks and am already looking forward for drawing the sketches for the h-scenes after that!
Next "behind the scenes" post will be about those. From sketching, to animation tests and how I improved / started out with those as well.

I hope you're also looking forward to that one!


Thats more than enough for now, time for me to get some sleep while I still can. :,D
I wish you all a nice start into the week!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, I love reading this behind the scenes stuff so definately worth doing. I really, really like your art style and genuinely can’t fault any of these sketches, they all look fantastic. The coloured ones of Fia even more so, I really like how you have done the shading on her ears to give a bit more colour.

    Normally I don’t like Pokemon with breasts since I usually find that they just look odd and spoil their design. However I really like your version of anthro Fia with breasts as I think you’ve made them fit her design well and they make sense within the story.

    More animation sounds amazing, but I’m a little worried about how much extra work it may create. But if you think you can do it then go for it, it will definately add a lot more life to the scenes. I’d be interested to read a bit about how you go about animating things.

    This all looks and sounds so good, I’m really looking forward to the next sketch demo version. Don’t be afraid to post and ask for feedback if you’re not sure about something we’re happy to help in any way we can. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To 1.

    i think Fia looks great in Antro and it makes a lot of sense that she took inspirations from Sara for her Antro Dream form. they are long time friends and she probably sees Sara as an role model and get even some advices from sara back in the day. She was the first person that nows about her powers and feelings after all.

    about Fia's Chest. you could use both options. the Checkbox for everyone that don't like antros. and as an Happiness/Mood option in future versions after the main Path are finished.

    To 2.

    I already thought about that that the Queen resembles the mother especially how hard they criticize her and made her feel bad.
    btw. did you made up the Beast Princess story or did you took some insperation from an actual book/anime ? becauce I think the story sounds very interesting. i kinda wanted that it continus in some of her dreams XD

    To 3.

    I think it's a good idea animation only the important or easy to do Charakters. but even when you think that the others should be animated too. you could still create/implement them after everything else is finished. maybe one of the not so important side charakters getting som new role in on of the side storys or in one of the dream sequeces. i think it could make some things easier afterwards.

    I am pretty excited about the next sketch demo ^^.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The princess story was really just a simplified "Prince saves the princess" kinda thing without much background so I didn't take any inspiration from anything.

      But I guess I was kinda frustrated that I couldn't write/work on another story that was swirling around in my head that also had a desert setting.
      So I kinda mixed a bit.

      I have some extra scenes with some more background for the world and a h-scene for the beast princess planned that you'll be able to unlock with playing through one of the paths. But I will take my time adding those later on. :>

      For the side character animatinos that exactly what I thought.
      I'll always be able to add them later on if I wanted to, so for now the important stuff! :3

      Delete
    2. Its spooktober guys lets scare everyones soul out (not actually)

      Delete
  3. Woah, that is a lot of details for a "small" update. Nice!

    While I am not a fan of her anthro form, I get how it fits very well into the story. I just hope that at some point player will have an option to choose and tell her she is fine as she is and stick to default form from that point on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So a little heads up. It looks like people are starting to get in trouble for making Nintendo related content on Patreon. Specifically Pokémon. And with some new policies, they are allowed to lock your page based on the stuff you do offsite. So hosting your stuff through Dropbox or mega or anywhere else still violates guidelines now. For sure the artist Diives who makes primarily Pokémon related stuff is being told he has to remove everything Nintendo related. I don’t know how at risk the Patreon is since you don’t post as often or have as many supporters. But it’s pretty obvious Nintendo themselves are pushing Patreon to do it so it could just be that they finally noticed diives and not a crackdown on Pokémon art. They’ve been really aggressive towards fan games. But fan art is a new one, hopefully I’m over reacting or misunderstanding what’s going. But for now maybe we should keep the mention of Pokémon down to a minimum when talking about dream molder. at worst you may have to change fias eye color or something simple and just not call her a braixen since she’s the only Pokémon besides the mention of a few others. Changing up the Patreon banner and cutting the games title down to just dream molder would help to avoid Nintendo’s wrath should it ever peek in our direction. If you still are implementing that color slider for her, you could do something sneaky like have a completely different color scheme as a default. Then have a few presets where one just so happens to look like a Braixen to avoid doing any major changes or redesigns. I don’t think any MAJOR changes are needed to dream molder if this were to happen anyway. But the side animations on the Patreon may have to find a new home. And if it does come down to it, there are alternatives to Patreon, like Subscribestar. I’m just providing some hopefully simple changes and ideas as some damage control just in case. If I seem to be going overboard, I’m sorry. But literally the one thing I was afraid of that could ruin dream molder is starting to happen. And at the worst possible timing during the project. I’ll be back first thing if I find any helpful news just to better understand what’s going on. It could still be nothing after all that I’ve been seeing. Take care dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. I can't imagine that Nintendo would go after fan-art, but it would be pretty sad if that's actually the case...

      I would pretty much need to remove the banner, all art and animations I uploaded so far since it's all fan-art.

      I think the game wouldn't be much of a problem since it's on a different site by now and has "nothing to do" with the Patreon.
      It would be sad to have the rewards so far removed though...

      I still really hope that Diives takedown was "just" because of a baseless report though and that he and his patreon will be fine.


      There's really no need to worry about the game in itself though. (I would rather stop using patreon than having to change up to game for it.)
      For now I'm just going to wait and if I have to I'm going to remove the animations and only keep Patreon for original stuff.

      Changing the banner would probably still be a good idea though...
      Thanks for letting me know. :3

      Delete
    2. I don't think that we have to worry about that. as far i can tell it seems that Diives is the only one (at least the only on i found so far) that has this problem and its not the first time that someone tries to put Diives down.
      Did he stated somwhere that he has to put everything nintendo related down? i know his Patreon page is under review. but i don't find anything els about that.
      Some artist overreacting about this too. but after a few days. they saying that they are save from it, because Patreon tries to ban "certain" content. but i dont find out what exactly they Baning. i think we should calmly watch what happend. and avoiding stuff we actualy dont have to do. like the banner for example, i am pretty sure that the banner is fine.
      We see what we can do when the worst case happend.

      This was also the first time Goggle wantet a recapture from me for Googling too much. XD

      Delete
    3. I can’t find anything stating exactly why Diives patreon is under review, however he did have issues on FA with him drawing underage characters, so I think that might be the actual reason for patreon reviewing his page. He does draw a lot besides Pokemon, particularly Splatoon characters who may well be under 18, which would be specifically against patreons rules. I wouldn’t worry about Pokemon fan art being taken down.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. So what I’ve heard now, is that Nintendo sent a letter directly to Patreon? Asking for the removal of all Nintendo related artwork? If that’s true this IS looking to be a crackdown on Patreon... the upcoming detective pikachu movie might be the reason they’re so hostile suddenly. dream molder is most likely safe here but the stuff on the Patreon like the side animations and maybe the banner would cause trouble if they saw them. I only suggest the banner because that’s the first thing people see when they view the Patreon page supporter or not. But I agree, sit and watch for now. Claims are all over the place. And I’ve been a patron of diives since that Braixen x lucario long animation. The one he never finished... but he sent a message last night(may 4th) about what’s going on to all supporters and set up a discord which is where I’m getting most of the info right now. Which is fortunate since a lot of other Nintendo themed artists follow him too. Blitzdrachin is the one saying there is a letter involved who is another Pokémon themed artist. I don’t think they’re being affected yet. But another artist that made a bunch of splatoon art is in trouble. I’m mostly sure they are called manyakis who has started posting art on other sites. But I’ll keep up with the discord to see what else is happening on their end. Hopefully find some useful reliable details about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The server will be public eventually BTW.

      Delete
    2. I strongly suspect this is actually Patreon cracking down on art depicting characters that are implied to be under 18 and is not actually anything related to Pokemon. Both artists targeted so far draw Splatoon art and the characters in Splatoon are mostly implied to be under 18. Diives has already been banned from Furaffinity due to refusing to remove art of characters that were irrefutably underage. Reddit and FA both had crackdown on underage art a few months ago but many of those artists are now on Patreon, so this may be Patreon deciding to enforce their rules on underage adult content.

      Delete
    3. Looks like Diives Patreon is back up (complete with Pokemon art) so this all seems like a false alarm and maybe a bit of an overreaction. It’s possible that he was reported for publicly posting pornographic images or was made to delete a few underage images, causing his Patreon to be under review for a bit, but I can’t say for certain since I’m not a Patron of his and nothing on the matter seems to be publicly availiable. He has clearly replaced his page banner with one reading ‘maintenance’ though, so maybe that caused it?

      Delete
  6. So little update and last update. It WAS Nintendo that had diives remove their stuff under copyright claims. But, that’s all it was. Nintendo noticed them and complained directly to patreon. And patreon doesn’t really have a choice but to do it. Patreon doesn’t care at all if we use Nintendo characters. It’s just a matter of if Nintendo notices or not. So it wasn’t as serious as I thought it’s not a crackdown. Patreon themselves expressed how frustrating the whole matter is with Nintendo in the message they sent to diives and encouraged him to even take legal actions if he’s capable. And that his page will be restored. So at worst, you may just have to share with mega or Dropbox just to make sure Nintendo doesn’t see in the future. It’s not the fanart apocalypse people thought it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're saying it was a 1-time thing. I hope so. I don't know how Diives managed to caught Nintendo's attention, but that was scary.

      Delete
    2. no, Nintendo can still come after us and anyone else. But They are limited to singling out 1 artist at a time. I thought at first Patreon was being forced to remove Nintendo related content on their entire platform! But luckily that turned out not to be true. Diives always has his Patreon advertised in his artwork, so someone probably just stumbled onto his public art and google searched his Patreon. Which is inevitable considering how popular he got from the Pokémon stuff he did.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the game and it was only the demo but I thought that it was great and I liked the graphics and cant wait for the full release.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also wonder how long until the full release

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full release will still take a while, but I'm going to start working on the first part of the full release in the second half of this month.
      (Imagine it like episodes, first release covering the first part of the game, second the next one and so on.)
      I'm unsure of how long each "episode" takes to complete, if I'm starting with the safe/censored ones however it could be quite fast.
      We'll see once I start working on the first "episode". :>
      THanks for you comments btw.

      Delete